How to Buy Curtains Part Four: Made to Measure versus Ready Made
So far in the series, we've looked at measuring, calculating gather and heading styles: You're nearly ready to buy your curtains! But should you be looking at ready-made or made-to-measure designs?
Ther are a number of factors to bear in mind when making this choice:
2. Delivery Time Frame
3. Heading Styles
4. Choice of fabrics
6. Quality of finish
Let's take a look at all of these factors in a little more detail:
1. Price: Generally speaking, made-to-measure curtains tend to be more costly than ready-made curtains. This is for obvious reasons: if you were to buy a tailor made suit it would cost more than one bought off the rail in a high street shop. In the same way, our made to measure curtains are not factory produced, they're made in our own workroom from scratch, specifically to your exact requirements. However, they may not be as expensive as you think! Try typing in your measurements on our made to measure product pages for an instant quote and you may be pleasantly surprised!
2. Delivery Time Frame: Like many of our customers you may want your curtains delivered within a few days. If so, there is no doubt that ready-made curtains offer the speediest delivery option. If we hold your curtains in stock we will endeavour to deliver within 48 hours, some customers have even had altered ready-made curtains on their doorstep within 24 hours! Even if your curtains are not in stock with us then we can usually have them delivered to you within five working days.
Made to measure curtains will, of course, take longer. Unlike some retailers, every single pair of our made to measure curtains are made by our own seamstresses, form scratch. Even so, we make and deliver made to measure curtains within five to ten working days. At busier times such as the run up to Christmas, this may be extended. But it is also worth bearing in mind that you can always contact us if you have a desperate rush and we will see what we can do.
3. Heading Styles: When it comes to choice of heading styles, the made-to-measure department wins hands down! You can choose any fabric with any heading style: pencil, pinch pleat, tab top, eyelet; the world is your oyster!
While there is much greater choice available in ready-made curtains than ever before, you are more limited when it comes to heading styles in this department. As the curtains are ready-made they come with a fixed heading, either pencil pleat, eyelet or tab top and you can't choose which heading you would like on which curtain. Some designs, such as Rio and Cubik caramel are offered with both eyelet or pencil pleat but these designs are the exception to the rule. Having said this, if you would like an eyelet heading on a pencil pleat ready-made or vice versa, contact us and we can give you a price (this service is dependent on your curtain drop: if it's any longer than 85" then we can't do this for you).
4. Choice of Fabrics: A whole world of options is open to you when you enter the made-to-measure department! We have over 600 fabrics in this department, including traditional floral, damasks, velvet, faux suede, silk, checks, stripes... the list is endless and ever-increasing!
While the fabrics are more limited in the ready made department we still have over 250 designs and add to this range daily. But it is always worth browsing the made-to-measure selection if you can't find what you're looking for in the readymade section.
5. Accessories: Once again, the made-to-measure department is the outright winner in this category! We can make matching (or contrasting) cushion covers in a variety of styles, tie backs, valances and roman blinds. You can even order fabric by the metre and make your own if you're handy with a sewing machine! And if you have any special requests we are always happy to discuss them with you.
The ready made department is a little more limited as we can supply only what the manufacturer makes. However, many designs do offer matching cushions, tiebacks and valances. We also have often made up items out of a pair of curtains for customers where no accessories are offered, so get in touch if you would like a quote.
6 Quality of Finish: We endeavour to offer a high quality of finish on all of our products, regardless of wether they are made to measure or ready made and regardless of the price the customer has paid.
However, as made-to-measure curtains are constructed on our premises, we are able to exercise much more control over the quality.
(image shows Kipling made to measure)
All of our fabrics are carefully checked before they are cut out. Our seamstresses' work is of the highest standard and we are proud of our skilled, conscientious staff. We double check the finished curtains before they leave us, making sure the measurements are accurate and the workmanship is of the highest quality.
If you are purchasing more than one pair of curtains to hang in the same room it is worth considering the following point: Ready made curtains rarely pattern match from one pair to another, whereas we will always match one pair of curtains if we know they are to be hung together.
So now you know the difference between made to measure and ready made curtains!