In with the New!
January is the time of year for resolutions and fresh starts. We tend to be more enthusiastic, have a refreshed zest for life and a willingness to take on challneges, like no other time of the year.
So what does this mean for the home?
January tends to be cold so is the perfect month to spend indoors. Here are our top tips for taking that new found energy and transforming your home:
1. Clean your windows to make the most of the limited natural daylight.
2. Invest in some new net curtains; brighter, whiter nets will add a touch of lightness to your interior: Net Curtain Department. If your budget doesn't stretch to new nets, follow these handy guidelines for washing your existing ones:'How to Wash Nets'.
3. Clean your light switches and the walls around them. You'll be surprised what a difference this quick task makes to your decor.
4. Take a good look at your curtains and maybe take advantage of the January sales to invest in a new set. It's easy to underestimate the impact a pair of curtains can have on your interior. Our amazing ready-made curtain sale ends on Sunday, so be quick if you want to snap up a bargain!
5. Wash your skirting boards and doors. A simple job with great results, woodwork that you'd previously thought about re-painting will suddenly appear fresher and brighter.
6. Re-hang your existing curtains, following our guide. Most people don't know how to hang curtains 'properly' and are unaware of what a difference it can make. You might go from thinking you need new curtains to loving the ones you've got! Or invest in foolproof eyelet curtains- inpossible to hang badly, they look great every time! Curtains Curtains Curtains How to Hang Curtains guide.
7. Have a good clearout, but don't bite off more than you can chew! Choose just one cupboard or drawer at a time and do this well before moving on to the next. Take on each area in bite sized pieces and then you can fit it in to your day. A single drawer would probably only take 15-30 minutes to sort through, whereas your entire kitchen could take days and feels too overwhelming.
8. Take a good look at your cushions: Are they adding a sense of comfort and style to your home? Or are they a bit old and shabby looking? Cushions are the type of accessories that we get so used to that often don't even see them at all! Try looking at them through fresh eyes... Here's a link to our fabulous cushion sale if you want to buy some new ones! 25% off all cushions!
9. Clean the grouting in your kitchen or bathroom. Clean, white grouting will really lift the room and a touch of light that was missing previously. Here's a link to some great advice: 'Homemade Tile Grout'
10. Reward yourself for all that hard work by buying a bright, cheerful bunch of flowers. They will instantly add life and colour to your home, which might be looking a little grey and gloomy without the Christmas decs.
So what are you waiting for? Don't delay; we all know that January inspiration is sadly short-lived! Harness that energy now and make a real difference to your home.
- Our Top Ten New Year’s Resolutions For Your HomePosted : 01 January 2018
- Our Top Ten Winter WarmersPosted : 01 November 2017
- Let The Light InPosted : 21 March 2017
- Spring Arrives with the New Seasons CollectionPosted : 15 March 2017
- The Best Curtains for Cold WeatherPosted : 05 October 2016
- Fabulous FloralsPosted : 23 May 2016
- Our Top 10 Christmas CurtainsPosted : 09 November 2015
- Spring Fresh!Posted : 09 April 2014
- In with the New!Posted : 07 January 2014
- Get Ready for Christmas!Posted : 04 December 2013
- How to add WarmthPosted : 22 November 2013
- Winter WarmersPosted : 11 October 2013
- Lucky for Some?Posted : 13 September 2013